Saturday, August 30, 2014

The 50th Reunion events was a huge success!

A message from Jane about the successful Alumni Banquet, and the reunion on July, 2014.

 
 


July, 2014 :

Fellow Classmates –

To the Class of 1964 = I can't tell you all how good it was to see each and everyone of you. Our Reunion was fantastic. I have had to work everyday so far. Even worked tonite and back tomorrow at 5am. I know there are lots of pics on fb but I truly haven't had time to look. I will be sending you all that email as soon as I get my roster from Rita. You guys are the greatest. I Love You ALL. Please stay in touch. We will do it again in five - only on a smaller scale. Be Safe and God Bless. Will be back on here in a couple of days.

May, 2014
 
The 50th Alumni Banquet held at Crawfordsville High School on May 10th was a huge success.
 
At the last minute on Friday Night we decided to have a last minute get together – just to get warmed up for Saturday Night.  So everyone – except me (I had to work) – met at Creekside for supper.  Those at Creekside were Terry Burns, Rita Harpel-Deckard, Camille Dills-Bayless, Bev Douglas-Wilhoit, Susan Grier-Siebert, Judy Hughes-Bice, Joyce Kreps-Foye, Larry White and Penny White-Hendricks. From what I hear they had way to much fun!!  Of course, that’s what they were supposed to do.  Then I joined them at the American Legion.  At the Legion there was me, Judy, Rita, Camille, Susan, Larry, Penny and Larry Cooper joined us there.  A great time was enjoyed there.  There was no band but we made our own music!!       I only danced a couple of times.  After a great time at the Legion we all went our separate ways to rest up and prepare for the Banquet.
 
OH, WHAT A NIGHT!!!  Saturday Night
We all started arriving at the High School around 5pm.  We met in the gym.  What a reunion this was.  Everybody meeting each other again – hugs – laughter – memories.  Rita and Cathy were passing out name tags, information and corsages.  Each class member received a yellow carnation with a blue “C” in the middle of it.  Just like Pep Block wore in good ole 64. Well, here we are trying to get everyone together for the Class Picture at 5:30.  Finally got it done at 5:45.  Oops!!  We have one class missing and the picture has been taken.  Doug Galloway!!!  Not a problem.  Joe Boswell (photographer) finally got us all re-seated and we finally got the picture of all attending.  Those attending the Crawfordsville High School Alumni Banquet were:
Terry Burns, Jim Cantrell (Sue Rickett), Cathy (Bob) Weliever-Coffing, Rita Deckard-Harpel,  Janet (Bill) Detchon-Fagan, Camille Dills-Bayless, Bev Douglas-Wilhoit, Gary (Carol) Fine, Annette (Ron) Foye-Hitch, Doug Galloway (Marti Handman), Susan Grier-Siebert, Shirley (Vance) Harwood-Pyle, Gladys Higgins-Busse, Sherry (Jim) Horney-Long, Judy Hughes-Bice,  Jane Jones-Ryan, Joyce Kreps-Foye,  Bob (Linda) Little, Mike (Debbie) McCarthy, Charlotte (Jeff) Mikel-Davenport, Bill (Marilyn) Myers, Priscilla Olsen-Zachary, Bryce (Minta) Parker, Jackie Patton (Wally Ford), Pam (Marvin) Poore-Hart, Norma Sexton (Jim Whitt), Larry (Janet) White, Penny White-Hendricks, Joyce Wildman, Donna (David) Wilkinson-Orwig and Anna Yater.  That’s 31 Classmates and 19 guests for a total of 50!!  50 for 50 years.  Now that is something to think about.
Ok. Back to the Banquet.  After the pictures we all proceeded to the Banquet Hall for a wonderful meal.  Dave Long, Association President, started with the usual customary speeches of welcome.  Then we really got started.  It is customary to start the evening with our Fight Song performed by Montgomery County Civic Band and led by Gary Ketchum.  Well, this year we had an unexpected Leader for the Band for the Fight Song.  It was our very own Susan Grier-Siebert.  Boy, was she surprised!!  Of course, our Class was whooping it up for her.  She done us proud.  Congrats to Susan on a job well done.  We are proud of you!!  We all enjoyed a wonderful meal of ham, chicken, mash potatoes, corn, green beans, toss salad, broccoli salad, slaw, pies, rolls, ice tea and lemonade.  It was really delicious!  Terry Burns gave the Response for our Class.  I honestly didn’t know Terry was this good. If I ever told the truth, I’m telling it now.  What a great job Terry did.  Terry did our Class Proud.  Amazing what that boy can do when he puts his mind to it!!  I never had a doubt, Terry.  I was given the honor of doing the Invocation and Benediction.  To each of you, I am humbled and honored to represent each of you.  The very first time I have done something this important for the Class.  You have never seen me without words – but I’m telling you, if I hadn’t had my prayers typed out – I would have been without words!!  Nervous? Yes!!!  Thanks to you for allowing me to represent you.  OK, now the banquet is done.  We had our Memorial Celebration of Life Balloons ready for each deceased classmate.  We went outside the high school, passed out the balloons, had prayer and set them free.  Amazing!!  I wish you all could see them as they float up, up and away toward heaven in one amazing cluster.  We have this video taped and  you will be able to see it at our Reunion in July.  Now we have left the school and we are at Creekside .  Anna Yater and Joyce Wildman did not join us at Creekside.  However, Marylyn Crane, Mike Wright, Joyce (Jim) Esra-Anderson and Bronna (Bucky) Richards-Newsom joined us.  We had lots of snacks to eat and a few bubblies to drink.  No!  I did not dance here.  However, I did talk – no loss for words here!  Not for anyone.  Now I would like to tell you more about Creekside but I can’t.  I was visiting with everyone also.  I can tell you that lots of memories were made again.  Everyone I spoke with was really pleased and happy they could attend.  Everyone will be back for the reunion and more fun and memories.
 
Before I sign out of here, I would like to pay tribute to Priscilla Olsen-Zachary, Penny White-Hendricks and Bev Keller-Surber.  A very BIG Thank You to these girls for all their time and efforts in making table decorations and decorating each venue for our 50th.  The decorations were absolutely beautiful.  You will  be able to see them at our Reunion.  Great job, girls!!
 
I hope I have not left anything or anyone out.  If I have, please forgive me.  It was such a wonderful weekend for all.  If anyone else has comments about the evening, please send to me and I will forward to the Class.
 
A Very Proud Member of the Class of 1964 –
Janie
 

------------------------------------------------------------------------________________________________________
Thanks to Gary Garver for the pictures of the 25th Reunion









_______________________________


Official Class Picture for our 45th Reunion




4 Comments:

At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pleasant Post. This post helped me in my college assignment. Thnaks Alot

 
At 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jane:

As you know I have NEVER attended a class reunion and the excuses are endless. But because of you and individuals such as Elaine and David I made it back to Crawfordsville last summer, July 2010. How irronic that Elaine and David who visited at the same time were present during my visit. I will NEVER forget the night we spent and how nice everyone was to me. It now saddens me that we have so many of our classmates who have left us.

In the only way I know how, Friday at a seminar in Jacksonville Fl., during my relationship segment I'm going to pay tribute to you, Elaine and David and the Class of 1964. It will talk about high school judgments and social standings and yet years latter the class because of the tireless efforts of these individuals comes together with NO such social standings just memories and friends. I hope to compare that to everyday life and families and there relationships.

Thank you for all you do and I wish I had thanked Elaine more than I did. Life is a four letter word and sometimes it's the most difficult of ALL four letter words to understand and deal with.

Sincerely
Ron Hummel

 
At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a thoughtful message from Bob. Made me cry. Can you believe I was at a loss for words?! Thank you so much, Bob, for the kind words and memories. It is all about God, Love and a desire Elaine & I shared in some unknown way. I missed a lot of class reunions before I got smart. Then I went to one, then two, then on the 45th I said to myself, "Janie, you have all these email addresess. Why aren't you doing something with them?" So I started with my first email regarding the 45th reunion - it is on the front page of the Class Blog run by David Walls. That was my very first letter. After that, I haven't shut up! I do love to talk. haha Again thank you for this letter. It is a great tribute to John & Elaine. Stay in touch. See ya soon! Love Ya - Janie
_____________________________

Two weeks ago, the “Class of 64” lost John Thompson. In remembering John, one classmate wrote that he remembered every classmate and had nothing but good memories of all. I responded that, sadly, I too often remember a name and little else.
With the exception of our 25th class reunion, I have had no physical contact with any of my classmates since leaving Crawfordsville. Then David Walls, who I could only remember by name, started a blog for our class. I became an instant fan. When I received my first email from Elaine those many years ago, I had to consult our senior yearbook to recall her. My response, “Oh yea, I remember her, I think.” Elaine nurtured the seed that David had planted and expanded my contacts and my faded memories of Crawfordsville. Once firmly established, Jane Ryan entered the scene and transported that plant into a beautiful flowering bush.
I have always been proud of my Hoosier roots, but these three classmates reinforced those roots and rekindled memories filed away long ago. Had they not spent much energy in reestablishing memories of my time in high school, I would still be looking for my yearbook lost in the attic during our last move. Both my wife and I were looking forward to my 50th class reunion so that I may thank all three.
Now we have lost Elaine Dutcher Carey. I have several anecdotes I could share about John Thompson, but I have no high school stories to share of Elaine Dutcher Carey. I mourn the loss of John Thompson because of the times we shared. I mourn the loss of Elaine Carey because of her tireless efforts in rekindling the memories of our high school years and the times we should have shared. I mourn her loss because of a strong friendship that was forged through years of emails but never firmly cemented by my being able to thank her, face to face.
God bless Elaine Dutcher Carey. God bless John Thompson.
 
Bob (Stoney) Stonecipher
Class of 64

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Blog Administrator said...

I wanted to let you know that I added his name on the class web page. You can let me know, if there is anything else you want to add. I was updating two of my blogs today and realized that we are getting close to our big"50". I have started my bio and trying to decide what not to put in it. LOL



At some point, we probably will want the folks at home take over the class page, because only the Lord knows how long we will on this earth. Even if we had one of our computer geeks kids take it over, God forbid they might leave us first. The committee will be with us, till the last person standing, and our page can be on cyberspace till the Lord comes. Blogging can be fun, but one wrong key stroke and the site or page can be lost forever.



Anyway, just let me know, if I need to update or add anything on the site. Give Dan a big hug for me and again, "Thanks for all you do for our class.



May the Lord be with you all,



David



http://www.chssixtyfour.blogspot.com/2006/02/1964-chs-classmates-memorial-page.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home